Our advisers understand the pace and diverse nature of building business in the Portland Metropolitan area. Whether taking in a show downtown, a hike through Forest Park or holding a meeting at a local craft brew pub, we appreciate the bustling city in various ways. This exciting and unique part of the state is a great place to do business. Let our local team of experienced advisers help in your success.
- Tammy Marquez-Oldham has 40 years of experience working for large, mid, and small businesses in many industry segments including: education, healthcare, software, construction, and specialty food. Tammy has owned several businesses and hired, trained, and developed hundreds of employees.
- Elisa is a business adviser and co-facilitator of the Getting Your Recipe to Market program. In addition to launching her own line of beverage mixers, Elisa has worked as a Business Strategy Consultant, Creative Director, and UX Designer.
- Kim has an extensive background in sales, sales management, sales training and marketing. Her experience also includes entrepreneurship and startup business development across several sectors. For Kim, business acumen is a calling, social enterprise is a passion. She loves to help businesses and founders because ultimately this help strengthen our communities.
- Kayla brings five+ years of helping clients start and grow their businesses, with focuses on marrying brand and business model, art-based business, jumping the growth chasm and marketing strategy that works. With a BS in Marketing and an MBA under her belt, she brings structure to business strategy development and implementation.
- Jackie is a CPA, coach, author and consultant who has been an instructor and strategic advisor at the SBDC for over 16 years. Jackie developed the Encore and Solo Business Builders program, as well as the Encore Concept Development program, to help those over 50 monetize the knowledge and expertise they have gained in a lifetime of working. Jackie is a longtime entrepreneur and a published author.
- Warren is an International Trade Business Adviser with OSBDCN Global Trade Center. He has an MBA from the University of Puget Sound with an emphasis on international marketing and finance. He spent 25 years in the financial services industry which included managing a representative office in Tokyo, Japan, starting a wholly owned subsidiary for international trade and finance in Portland, Oregon, and was an SVP and Manager of the International Financial Services Division of U.S. Bank of Oregon. He achieved his Certified Global Business Professional certification in September, 2013.
- Jill grew up in the Napa Valley and worked many different jobs in the wine industry. from the vineyards to the wine lab to sales. She has a B.S. and M.S. in Agricultural Business from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She previously worked as a researcher at the OSU Food Innovation Center, taught farm management at Linn-Benton Community College and has been with the SBDC for five years.
- Noah Brockman leads the Oregon SBDC Network's Capital Access Team (CAT), the group that provides strategic business advising to SBDC clients statewide on access to capital, business planning and financial analysis. Noah has worked with the Portland Community College SBDC since 2008, where he facilitates Profit Mastery and the Small Business Management II program.
- Mr. Goddin was the Director of the Oregon office of the U.S. Commercial Service from 1997-2018. In this role, Scott counselled hundreds of businesses in sectors ranging from aviation and high tech to power generation and higher education on export business development. He also worked closely with economic development partners throughout the region on designing and offering trade capacity building and related training programs.Scott worked in the international trade field for more than forty years including more than 35 years with the Department of Commerce. At Commerce, he managed trade negotiation and business counseling portfolios covering China, Korea and Taiwan as well as multilateral issues including standards and government procurement under the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- Sean brings together the existential needs and the business challenges of the 21st century. His unique blend of training and experience are from two seemingly different worlds: divinity and business. As a pastor, he walked with people through life’s spiritual events. Returning to school after that career, he received a master's degree in business. He now teaches and advises small business owners on how to start and grow a successful business.
- Yevette was born and raised in Juneau, Alaska. She came to Oregon to attend Oregon State University. After leaving college she worked in retail management for several years before joining the SBDC team as a data entry assistant in 1992. Yevette currently serves as Portland SBDC's Program Specialist and lead Orientation Instructor.
- David W. Kohl is the Global Trade Liaison for the OSBDCN Global Trade Center. He is a Department of Commerce certified international trade adviser with a mission to identify and realize global opportunities for individuals and organizations. David has specialty expertise in cross-cultural relations and in particular the East Asia region. David's extensive international network and deep experience working with fortune 500 companies, top-ranked universities and government agencies around the world provide his clients with a unique set of resources and opportunities that create a distinct advantage in a dynamic and competitive world. David's clients have included The Embassy of the United States of America in Beijing, DuPont, Nike, Intel, Logitech, and security agencies at the Portland International Airport.
- Terry leads the Small Business Builders series. He is an instructor for Understanding Your Financial Statements, Inventory Management I & II, and Building a Budget. He assists small business owners with strategic planning. He is also a member of the Capital Access Team. Terry has an MBA from Fairfield University and a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Linfield College. He is a graduate of the America’s Community Bankers National School of Banking.
- Bruce Melzer is a Strategic Advisor with Oregon SBDC Network’s Capital Access Team. He specializes in helping small businesses owners with business planning, finance strategy development and accessing debt and equity funding.
- Betsy grew up in Eugene, Oregon. After graduating from University of Oregon, she began her professional career with 22 years in the retail industry working as an apparel buyer and store manager for local specialty and department stores. Betsy moved on to Adidas working as a product and sales manager for 17 years.